Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Dylan is Down Unda'

Greetings from Queensland, Australia! I'm studying abroad for a semester at James Cook University in Townsville, Australia.
 Studying wildlife in Australia has been a dream of mine ever since I was a little kid watching Steve Irwin on the Animal Planet. Needless to say I was so excited to finally reach one of my life goals!

James Cook University in Townsville is a top notch tropical ecology research institution. They even have a modest sign out front that says so. But the professors here have been some of the funnest and smartest I've ever had.

For instance, when I sit down for Survival of Land Plants both professors usually still have their hiking boots on. One lectures, while the other kicks his shoes off (barefoot is a common thing here) and both professors bandy back and fourth with jokes and the most up to date knowledge on the subject while using a colourful language of swear words and Aussie tongue. I thoroughly enjoy every lecture, and leave class energized to learn more about each subject.
 I've never lived on campus either, but I'm very pleased with my third floor view into the courtyard below. Just up the hall from me is Paul, a very smart birder from Maine. We regularly go out herping/birding. He teaches me about birds and I teach him a little about herps too.
Naturally, going to school in the dry tropics should lend to a good abundance of wildlife. And I don't have to look too far to find a familiar face. This Asian House Gecko Hemidactylus frenatus is my dorm neighbor. Even though H. frenatus is an invasive species here, his frequent chirps in the mornings are kinda nice when everyone else is hung-over and sleeping in.
I'll be sure to keep more frequent updates to the adventure now since I've settled in. Thanks again for reading my blog :)  As my plants professors would say "Cheers and beers!"

No comments:

Post a Comment